Opting for the coupe variant will add a premium of $7000, and deliveries for both bodystyles are expected to commence by the end of the year.
Powered by AMG’s proven 4.0-litre twin-turbocharged V8, both wagon and coupe bodystyles will thump out 375kW and 700Nm and launch to 0-100km/h in just 3.8 seconds – blistering pace for an SUV – before thundering on to an electronically limited top speed of 270km/h.
Power is sent to all four wheels through a nine-speed automatic transmission which has received an AMG-specific calibration.
The GLC63 S comes with a big list of other performance upgrades, including:
- AMG air suspension
- Electronic rear limited-slip differential
- Performance exhaust system
- AMG Dynamic Select with five drive programs
- AMG Performance 4MATIC+ all-wheel drive system
Carbon ceramic brakes with six-piston front calipers are also available to increase the car’s trackability, with this option costing $7500.
The racing theme is continued on the interior and exterior, with the GLC63 S kitted out with:
- Leather-appointed AMG bucket seats
- AMG instrument cluster featuring a lap timer
- Performance steering wheel trimmed in black nappa leather and Dinamica microfibre
- Front splitter and rear lip spoiler
- Wider wheel arch cladding
A $4500 exterior carbon package can also be optioned on, which trims the wing mirrors and rear spoiler in carbon fibre.
On launch, a limited-run Edition 1 variant will also be available at a $10,900 premium over standard models. This version will come with numerous visual enhancements which include:
- Selenite Magno paintwork with yellow striping
- 21-inch AMG black alloy wheels with yellow rim flange
- AMG aerodynamics package
- Carbon fibre interior trim
- Yellow stitching for the seats, dashboard, and door trims
- Carbon ceramic brakes as standard
Mercedes-Benz is claiming the GLC63 S to be Australia’s fastest SUV, which numbers suggest to be almost true.
Although the GLC63 is faster than the Macan Turbo, it is more expensive. A huge $30,000 more is the amount you’ll need to step up into the AMG from the Porsche.
There are other competitors on the way though, with BMW’s upcoming X3 M set to give the GLC63 a run for its money.
GLC63 S SUV – $164,900
GLC63 S Coupe – $171,900
GLC63 S Edition 1 SUV – $175,800
GLC63 S Edition 1 Coupe – $182,800
Note: This pricing includes GST and Luxury Car Tax, but excludes dealer delivery charges and on road costs. Drive away pricing can be obtained from dealers.