Australia’s cheapest seven-seat SUV has received a facelift while maintaining sub-$27,000 entry-level pricing.
First introduced in 2012, the Mahindra XUV500 mid-sized SUV has been treated to a series of tweaks including a revised grille and headlight assembly and reshaped lower front bumper, while retaining the distinctive bulbous wheel arches.
The most noticeable design changes are at the rear of the Mitsubishi Outlander, Nissan X-Trail and Honda CR-V rival, which features new tailgate design, angular combination taillights and a larger roof-mounted rear spoiler.
The interior meanwhile gains chrome detailing, which includes illuminated scuff plates, centre console inserts and garnish around the air vents and steering wheel.
Climate-control air-conditioning is also now included, while pricier W10 versions gain sunroof, push-button start, plus satellite navigation and Arkamys premium sound system on top of the rudimentary infotainment system. Autonomous safety systems including collision mitigation braking are not included.
Under-the-skin changes include refinements to the torquey 2.2-litre turbocharged petrol engine, that’s found under the bonnet of all three XUV500 variants, bolted to a six-speed automatic transmission.
The suspension, designed in partnership with Lotus, has also been revised to offer improved ride comfort and handling. According to Mahindra the suspension upgrade and additional noise dampening has led to a dramatic drop in the noise, vibration and harshness (NVH).
Hill Hold and Hill Descent Control and electronic stability programme (ESP) with rollover mitigation has also been added.
The Mahindra XUV500 range starts at $26,900 for the W6 FWD, with standard features including:
- Height and lumbar adjustable driver’s seat
- Reverse parking sensors
- LED projection/self-levelling headlights
- LED daytime running lights
- Front and rear fog lamps
- Rain-sensing windscreen wipers
- Walk thru access to the third-row seating
- 3x ISOFIX child restraints for the second row
- Dual-zone front and rear air-conditioning
- Centre console bin cooler (chilled by the air-conditioning system)
- 6.0-inch inch touchscreen with digital radio (DAB+)/CD/mp3 player
- Hill descent control
- Class-leading 2500kg braked tow capacity - 2.5 Tonne
- 702-litre boot (third-row down).
W10 FWD and AWD variants gain:
- Electric Sunroof
- Satellite Navigation with turn by turn voice navigation
- Reverse Camera with Dynamic Assist Gridlines
- 7.0-inch touch screen
- Arkamys sound system Android Auto
- Leather Seats
- Genuine third-row space
- Keyless entry/start
- Illuminated Scuff Plates.
The XUV500 is covered by a five-year/100,000km warranty with four-year capped price servicing available,
2019 Mahindra XUV500 drive-away pricing
- XUV500 W6 FWD - $26,990
- XUV500 W10 FWD - $31,990
- XUV500 W10 AWD - $34,990
READ NEXT: Other bargain-priced seven-seat SUVs