REDCentreNATS is set to heat up Alice Springs this weekend with burnouts, drag racing and a big dose of horsepower.
Editor Telfo is on his way to the Red Centre right now, driving his EJ in a convoy of cool Holdens including a 253-cube supercharged HQ coupe, blown red-motor EJ ute and a 600rwhp LS1 VT Commodore.
The lads are running their final leg of the trip today, from Coober Pedy to Alice Springs, and have had no mechanical issues so far – touch wood!
One of the cool things about Red CentreNATS is the burnout competition, which is going to be held under lights on Saturday evening. It is tricky running burnouts in the evening at Summernats because of the EPA, but up north things are a little more relaxed.
The burnouts kick off 6.30pm Saturday with the Burnout Championship Qualifying, and then things will click into overdrive at 8.30pm with the Burnout Masters.
The Burnout Masters ‘Desert Storm’ comp features some of the biggest and baddest burnout beasts in the country who will be battling it out for the $10K top prize.
Names include Mark Schwirse, Gary Myers, Dave Cufone, Matt Power, Fred Watson, Justen Brown, Steve Edsall, Jason Earl, Matt Purnell and many more. These blokes have been chosen from a range of events, including Summernats 28, Gazzanats and UBC, and are the best-of-the-best!
To make things even more interesting, Peter Gray will be unveiling the world’s most powerful burnout car at the event. We won’t spoil the surprise, but how do 8000hp-plus Nitro burnouts sound?
Drag racing is also on the agenda, which will be run on a ‘Dial Your Own’ basis with everything from street sleepers to wild blown drag beasts. There will also be a show ’n’ shine, Motorkhana and town cruise, plus loads more cool stuff.
What else is on:
- Six Banger Nats, Saturday & Sunday, Warwick Dragway, QLD
- Muscle Car Masters, Saturday & Sunday, Eastern Creek, NSW
- Rat Day 16, Sunday, Taren Point, NSW
- Father's Day Muscle Car Cruise and Display, Sunday, Whyalla, SA
- Outback Classics Show ’n’ Shine, Saturday, Emerald, QLD
- Flukes Hot Rod Club: Mechanica Car & Bike Show, Saturday & Sunday, Ballarat, VIC
- Eagles Rod and Custom Club: Rods at the RSL, Sunday, Dandenong, VIC
- Showcars Melbourne: Father’s Day Classic Car & Bike Show, Sunday, St Kilda, VIC
- West Coast Street Rod Club: Father’s Day Hot Rod Show, Sunday, Fremantle, WA
- 4th Annual Trojans Father’s Day Turnout, Saturday, North Lismore, NSW
- Repco Tuggeranong Annual Show ‘n’ Shine, Saturday, Tuggeranong, ACT