The new Golf R Wagon will arrive as a full-volume import in January next year, but if you don’t want to wait that long a limited-edition Golf R Wagon Wolfsburg Edition will be available from late August.
Following on from the successful 2015 Wolfsburg Editions, the Golf 7.5 R Wagon Wolfsburg Edition will be released alongside a hatchback version, with just 300 of each to be made available here.
Should you miss out, you’ll be heartened to know when the ‘standard’ Golf R Wagon does arrive it will, for the first time, be a permanent addition to the Golf range here.
That decision is interesting considering how SUVs continue to cannibalise the station wagon market and are now spawning performance versions. However, Volkswagen Australia's General Manager of Marketing and Product Ben Wilks says there’s a lot to love about the best-of-both-worlds Golf R Wagon.
“In hatch form the Golf R is by some distance the best-selling and -equipped car of its type. In Wagon form, it is that rarest of beasts – a fun, fast and fully functional family car."
The only downside, for some, is the Golf R Wagon only comes with an automatic transmission unlike the hatch which has an optional six-speed manual gearbox.
That said the 7-speed dual clutch automatic, which sends power from the 213kW/380Nm 2.0-litre four-cylinder petrol turbo engine to all four wheels, will hardly have you looking for somewhere to pull over for a snooze.
The Golf R Wagon will retail at $57,490, which is $2000 more than the automatic Golf R hatchback, and comes packed with premium equipment that includes:
- Discover Pro 9.2" navigation system with App-Connect
- Gesture control
- Active Info Display
- Vienna leather appointed upholstery
- Heated front seats
- Electrically adjustable driver's seat with memory
- Driver's electric lumbar adjustment
- Power folding door mirrors with memory function
- 19-inch (Spielberg) alloy wheels
- Premium LED tail lights with dynamic indicators
- LED headlights with dynamic cornering lights
- Air Care dual zone climate control air conditioning
- Keyless Access, keyless entry and starting system
- Leather multi-function steering wheel with cruise control
- LED interior ambient lighting
- Rear View Camera (RVC)
- Multi-collision brake and XDL
- Adaptive chassis control with driving profile selection
- Front Assist with City Emergency Brake (City EB)
- Front fog lights
- Automatic headlights
- Rain sensing windscreen wipers
- Automatically dimming rear-view mirror
- Parking distance sensors, front and rear
- Chrome roof rails (R Wagon)
For an extra $1300 you can add the Driver Assistance Package which brings:
- Adaptive Cruise Control
- Lane Assist
- Blind Spot Monitor
- Rear Traffic Alert
- Proactive occupant protection system
- Dynamic Light Assist
The Golf R Wolfsburg Edition wagon and hatchbacks only come with the 7-speed DSG transmission. They’ll attract a premium of $2500 over the Golf R autos and for that you get:
- Grey Metallic 19-inch Pretoria alloy wheels
- Genuine carbon fibre exterior mirror housings
- Oryx White Pearl, Lapiz Blue Metallic & Deep Black Pearl Effect paint finishes
- 'Carbon' Nappa leather appointed upholstery
- Dynaudio 400W premium audio system
- Adaptive Cruise Control (ACC)
- Lane Assist
- Blind Spot Monitor with Rear Traffic Alert
- Dynamic Light Assist
An optional panoramic sunroof is available for the Golf R and Golf R Wolfsburg Editions for $1900.
Volkswagen Golf R 7.5 manufacturer’s list pricing
- Golf R hatchback, manual - $52,990
- Golf R hatchback, auto - $55,490
- Golf R Wolfsburg Edition hatchback, auto - $57,990
- Golf R Wagon, auto - $57,490
- Golf R Wagon Wolfsburg Edition, auto - $59,990