The Mazda MX-5 has been updated for 2018 with a series of tweaks to improve ride, noise levels and safety for selected variants, resulting in a price bump across the range.
This comprised lowering the rear suspension's upper link bushes, and lengthening the rear bump-stops so that they’ll be reached earlier.
The soft-top will also be a little quieter to drive via a series of NVH (noise, vibration and harshness) improvements. Mazda’s boffins applied extra sound insulation across the centre transmission tunnel, while noise-absorbing material was added to the soft-top top. Meanwhile holes and gaps around the tunnel reinforcements were reduced, and vibration-damping and noise-absorbing materials were added to the rear wheel housings.
While the interior becomes quieter, Mazda has accentuated the engine’s throaty sound.
Safety enhancements are confined to the pricier GT variants, and include lane-departure warning and adaptive LED headlights. For some reason a reversing camera, which would be pretty handy with the roof up, continues to avoid the standard features list.
The update doesn’t include any aesthetic design changes, however there are extra paint options including the candy-apple-like Soul Red Crystal Metallic, which has proven very popular on Mazda’s SUV models. The Roadster models also gain Machine Grey Metallic, while the 1.5-litre Roadster GT’s 16-inch alloys can come with bright aluminium finish.
The enhancements see the entry-level pricing go up by just $100, while the GT models, which benefit from the extra safety tech, jump by around $1350.
The updated Mazda MX-5 is on sale now.
2018 Mazda MX-5 pricing
- MX-5 1.5L Roadster, manual - $33,440
- MX-5 1.5L Roadster, auto - $35,440
- MX-5 1.5L Roadster GT, manual - $39,660
- MX-5 1.5L Roadster GT auto - $41,660
- MX-5 2.0L Roadster, manual - $34,950
- MX-5 2.0L Roadster, auto - $36,950
- MX-5 2.0L Roadster GT, manual - $41,210
- MX-5 2.0L Roadster GT, auto - $43,210
- MX-5 2.0L RF, manual - $38,650
- MX-5 2.0L RF, auto - $40,650
- MX-5 2.0L RF GT, manual - $45,210
- MX-5 2.0L RF GT, auto - $47,210
- MX-5 2.0L RF GT Black Roof, manual - $46,210
- MX-5 2.0L RF GT Black Roof, auto - $48,210
- MX-5 2.0L RF Limited Edition, manual - $52,210
How are you finding our new site design? Tell us in the comments below or send us your thoughts at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Porsche investing in new battery cell factory in Germany
Proposed plant near Stuttgart and Weissach could turn over up enough batteries for up to 1000 cars a year
Aston Martin locked in $18.5 million legal battle over Valkyrie payments
Swiss dealers accused of withholding £10m in Valkyrie deposits
Land Rover to allow buyers to place a deposit on vehicles through PayPal
New system allows buyers to select their car from a dealer online and reserve it