The second-generation BMW X4 will arrive in Australia with four powertrain choices and a scrolling standard-features list.
Priced from $76,900, the coupe-styled X4 is slated to arrive within the next three months with four X-Drive (all-wheel-drive) variants, including the frisky six-cylinder turbo M40i M Performance flagship.
The X4 shares powertrains with the X3 SUV on which it’s based, including its eight-speed automatic transmission with paddle shifters for when some manual shifting takes your fancy.
The range kicks off with the X4 xDrive20i M Sport, powered by a 135kW/290Nm 2.0-litre four-cylinder turbocharged petrol engine, which is capable of reaching 100km/h from a standing start in 8.3 seconds (fuel consumption figures for this and the other powertrains is yet to be confirmed).
The complementary M Sport package the entry-level X4 has a decent standard features list that includes:
- BMW Connected Drive infotainment
- 10.25-inch colour touch display
- Navigation system Professional
- Real-Time Traffic Information
- Intelligent Emergency Call
- Remote services
- DAB+ digital radio tuner
- Six-speaker stereo system
- head-up display
- ‘Driving Assistant’ with autonomous emergency braking and lane departure warning
- Automated parking
- Surround-view camera
- LED headlights, tail-lights, fog-lights and DRLs
- Anti-dazzle interior and door mirrors
- Front sports seats with power adjustment
- Combination cloth and Vernasca leather upholstery
- Three-zone climate control
- Powered tailgate
- 19-inch alloy wheels
- Adaptive suspension.
The X4 xDrive 20d brings all that but with a gutsier 2.0-litre four-cylinder turbo-diesel that produces 140kW/400Nm. The oil-burner attracts a premium of $3000, while shaving 0.3 seconds from the 0-100km/h time.
Read more: BMW X4 M spied in factory
Paying $83,900 for the xDrive30i brings more power from the 2.0-litre petrol – 185kW/350Nm to be exact, which pushes the 4.75m long X4 from 0-100km/h in a brisk 6.3-seconds. In addition to the entry version, you also get:
- Eight-speed sports transmission
- Vernasca leather upholstery
- Smart keyless entry
- 12.3-inch multi-function digital instrument display
- M Sport brakes
- Active Cruise Control with Stop&Go function
- Lane keeping assist with side collision warning
- Adaptive LED headlights with High-beam Assistant and BMW Selective Beam
- 20-inch BMW M light alloy wheels.
Sitting at the top of the range, M40i M Performance is the quickest X4 to date, with 4.8-second 0-100km/h acceleration that’s neck-and-neck with the X3 M40i, which shares the same 265kW/500Nm straight-six turbo and M Sport rear differential.
Priced from $109,900, the M40i M Performance brings even more features over and above the 30i including:
- Sports tuned adaptive suspension
- Cerium grey exterior design elements
- 21-inch BMW M light alloy wheels
- Panoramic glass sunroof
- 16-speaker harman/kardon surround sound system
- Interior ambient lighting
- Poplar grain fine-wood interior trim
- Front seat heaters
- Front-seat lumbar support
- 24/7 concierge services via BMW’s ConnectedDrive call centre.
A range of option packages are available for the X4 range, including the $2000 Innovations pack for the xDrive20i and 20d that brings smart keyless entry, high-beam assist, adaptive LED headlights, wireless phone charging and the 12.3-inch multi-function instrument display.
Want more? 2015 Range Rover Evoque vs 2015 BMW X4
Alternatively, you can up-spec the xDrive 20i and 20d with the $2800 Enhance Package that adds 20-inch alloy wheels, Vernasca leather upholstery, M Sport brakes, smart keyless entry, Driving Assistant Plus active safety, adaptive LED headlights with high-beam assist and the 12.3-inch multi-function instrument display.
Meanwhile the $2800 Comfort package brings interior enhancements to all variants except the M40i, including a choice of woodgrain interior trims, ambient lighting, lumbar support for driver and passenger, front-seat heaters and a 12-speaker HiFi system.
2019 BMW X4 pricing
- X4 xDrive20i M Sport - $76,900
- X4 xDrive20d M Sport - $79,900
- X4 xDrive30i M Sport - $83,900
- X4 M40i M Performance - $109,900