Toyota has reintroduced its special edition Prado Altitude variant with its popular ‘out of sight’ spare wheel and split tailgate.
Bridging the gap between the Prado GXL and VX models, the Altitude retains the 87-litre primary fuel tank but ditches the 63-litre auxiliary tank to make room for the spare tyre underneath the vehicle rather than at the rear.
As well as looking more refined, it allows for the top half of the tailgate to open independently for quick access to the luggage area – which should make the school run a little easier.
Priced at $68,230, the seven-seat Prado Altitude is based on the 2.8-litre turbo diesel GXL with six-speed automatic transmission ($63,230) and, according to Toyota, comes with more than $10,000 worth of extras for just $5000.
These include new 18-inch alloy wheels, a tilt-and-slide moonroof, auto-levelling LED headlamps and chrome side mouldings.
Inside gets extra creature comforts including black leather-accented upholstery, eight-way power operated front seats and premium entertainment system featuring JBL 14-speaker audio system, digital (DAB+) radio while the kids can be kept occupied with Blu-ray rear entertainment system with ceiling-mounted 9-inch monitor and three sets of wireless headphones.
The Altitude also comes with standard GLX features including foldaway third-row seats, reversing camera, satellite navigation, cruise control, three-zone climate-controlled air-conditioning, rear parking sensors and keyless smart entry.
The Toyota Prado Altitude will be limited to 1200 vehicles and is available in four colours – black and the $550 option of silver peal, crystal pearl and graphite.
2017 Toyota Prado pricing
- GX 2.8-litre, turbo diesel, manual - $54,050
- GX 2.8-litre, turbo diesel, auto - $56,090
- GXL 2.8-litre, turbo diesel, manual - $61,190
- GXL 4.0-litre V6 petrol, auto - $62,210
- GXL 2.8-litre, turbo diesel, auto - $63,230
- Altitude 2.8-litre, turbo diesel, auto - $68,320
- VX 4.0-litre V6 petrol, auto - $74,170
- VX 2.8-litre, turbo diesel, auto - $75,190
- Kakadu 4.0-litre V6 petrol, auto - $84,880
- Kakadu 2.8-litre, turbo diesel, auto - $85,900