1. The Mazda6 comes in four models - Sport, Touring, GT and top of the range Atenza.
2. All bar the Sport come in either petrol or diesel variants.
3. Buyers can choose between sedan or wagon body styles.
4. The Mazda6 Atenza Diesel 6-speed automatic sedan, tested here, costs from $48,240 (plus onroads).
5. It has a 2.2-litre in-line four cylinder turbo diesel engine delivering 129kW and 420Nm.
6. Black nappa leather is standard on all Atenza models, with white leather an option.
7. The Atenza is equipped with heated front and rear seats.
8. The boot is a capacious 474L with the seats up. Curiously, there are no specs offered for how big this boot is when the seats are folded down. For families wanting more cargo space the wagon offers 506L of storage.
9. It’s quiet in the cabin thanks to Mazda’s new sealing and noise absorption improvements.
10. The auto-folding wing mirrors tuck away nicely when parked.
11. Plenty of active safety gear like blind-spot monitoring, which alerts drivers to unseen obstacles via a beep light on the side mirror, is standard.
12. Shod with low profile tyres, the 19-inch alloys are more performance based making the ride a little uncomfortable on long trips
13. As you'd expect from a diesel, fuel consumption is a reported low 5.4L/100km. The reality over more than 600km of inner city and freeway driving was 7.0L/100km.
14. Mazda offers neither Apple CarPlay nor Android Auto connectivity.