Scheduled for a February 4 Australian launch, the Celerio has now been delayed until Suzuki evaluates the problems encountered in the UK.
In a statement, Suzuki Automobiles Australia General Manager Andrew Moore said that, “Suzuki Australia places safety as a top priority and will not begin selling Celerio in Australia until we are comfortable any possible issues are rectified”. Moore told Wheels that he hopes it's only a matter of weeks before a resolution is reached and that car can be put on sale.
British motoring weekly Autocar has said that a Celerio under test at Millbrook Proving Ground in Bedfordshire, UK, suffered a “total brake failure” during testing last week. After being supplied a replacement car from Suzuki UK, it too suffered a “loss of braking power” according to the magazine, prompting the car maker’s decision to pull the car from British showrooms.
“The condition was experienced during an emergency brake test from very high speed and was conducted several times on a private road test facility,” read a January 30 Suzuki statement. “As a direct result of this investigation and with immediate effect, Suzuki is recalling its UK Celerio models that went on official sale to the public on February 1st."
The test, which saw the hatch reach 80mph (129km/h) before the brakes were applied, is being investigated by Suzuki Japan, and has delayed the Celerio’s launch globally, including Australia.
Suzuki Australia Automobiles General Manager Andrew Moore told Wheels that the two test cars are isolated cases, and that the problem had not occurred in any other Celerios globally. "Suzuki is renowned for its reliability and we've had no other issues," he said.