The fourth-generation Kia Sorento large SUV has finally arrived Down Under bringing with it an all-new platform and new levels of comfort, convenience and safety technology.
Priced from $45,580, it is again available in four spec grades, S, Sport, Sport+ and GT-Line.
Each grade comes with a choice of two powertrains: the 3.5-litre V6 petrol with front-wheel-drive and the new, lighter 2.2-litre four-cylinder diesel with all-wheel-drive.
The Kia Sorento range will also gain hybrid and plug-in hybrids linked to a 1.6-litre petrol turbo engine, in early 2021,
Kia Sorento standard features
The 2020 Kia Sorento is the most high-tech Kia model to date and, while some of the most advanced features have been reserved for the upper-spec versions, it still has a generous standard features list that includes:
- LCD touchscreen infotainment with Android Auto/Apple CarPlay smartphone pairing.
- Bluetooth and USB connectivity.
- AM/FM/Digital (DAB+) radio.
- Reversing camera with guidelines.
- Front and rear parking sensors.
- Digital gauges.
Kia Sorento S
- Active safety including autonomous emergency braking with pedestrian, cyclist and junction detection, lane-keeping assist, rear-cross traffic alert, blind-spot collision avoidance, driver attention alert.
- Advanced Smart Cruise Control with stop and go function.
- Full LED lighting including headlights, daytime running lights, front and rear fog-lights.
- Rain-sensing windscreen wipers.
- Alloy wheels including the full-size spare.
- Auto-folding door mirrors.
- Roof rails.
- Sliding and reclining 2nd-row seats.
Stepping up from the Sorento S to the Sport sees the touchscreen size increase from 8.0-inches to 10.25 inches and the alloy wheels grow from 17-inches to 19. Other extras include:
- Satellite navigation with 10 years of traffic information and map updates.
- Dual-zone climate control air-conditioning.
- Auto-dimming rear-view mirror.
- 10-way powered drivers' seat settings.
The Sorento Sport+ brings:
- Leather-appointed seats.
- Heated front seats.
- Heated steering wheel.
- Smart keyless entry and push-button and remote-engine start.
- Heated door mirrors.
- Hands-free powered tailgate.
- Privacy glass.
- 2nd and 3rd row USB sockets
The full-enchilada Sorento GT-Line comes with a host of extras over the Sport+ including:
- Smart key with remote smart parking assist.
- 12.3-inch high-resolution digital instrument cluster.
- Head-up display.
- In-car intercom.
- 360-degree parking camera.
- Parking collision avoidance.
- Dual-projection LED headlights.
- Blind-spot monitor.
- Quilted Nappa leather seats.
- Heated front and rear seats.
- Ventilated front seats.
- 14-way power-adjusted driver's seat.
- 10-way power-adjusted front passenger seat.
- Panoramic sunroof.
- Paddle shifters.
- Interior mood lighting.
- Alloy sports pedals.
- Wireless fast phone charging.
- BOSE premium sound system.
- 20-inch alloy wheels.
With a face resembling its Seltos little brother, the Sorento’s new design is noticeably more sculpted than the current model, with fresh geometric details and more swept-back, elongated proportions.
As well as introducing a handsome design to the family, the new Sorento is the first Kia to be built on the Korean carmaker's new SUV platform that brings a host of technological advancements to match the smouldering looks.
FIRST DRIVE: 2021 Kia Sorento GT-Line review
It also offers more space than its predecessor, along with a host of new driver assistance systems, revised and updated information and entertainment tech, making it the most high-tech vehicle Kia has ever created.
More space and comfort
Kia says the three-row SUV also has one of the highest quality interior spaces found in any of its models to date, with the intuitive, tech-oriented cabin featuring a 10.25-inch touchscreen infotainment system in all but the entry-level Sorento S, and a new 12.3-inch high-resolution digital instrument cluster in the GT-Line.
Material quality is enhanced, with a cabin that blends metallic trim and embossed satin-effect surfaces. Various spec grades feature black cloth, leather-appointed black cloth or black quilted Nappa leather.
READ MORE: Seven-seat large SUV comparison review
The 2021 Kia Sorento is 10mm wider and has a 35mm longer wheelbase than the previous model, resulting in more cabin room. Second-row seats are able to slide 45mm further, creating more legroom and a wider point of entry to the third row.
There is also a new grab handle built into the C-pillar, giving third-row passengers something to hold on to as they climb aboard.
CURRENT MODEL: Kia Sorento range review
The Kia Sorento boot space is also greater, up from 605 litres to 821 litres, with the third row of seats folded down. With the third row in use, available cargo space is up 32 percent to 187 litres.
All Sorentos have full-size spare wheels under the boot floor.
Technology and safety
The 2021 Kia Sorento GT-Line has a head-up display, mood lighting with seven preset and customisable colour schemes that work with 'Sound of Nature' ambient sound delivered by a 12-speaker Bose surround-sound audio system tuned to deliver optimal sound to all three rows.
Safety-wise, the advanced driver assist system (ADAS) brings Kia’s latest autonomous emergency braking technology with pedestrian, cyclist and vehicle detection. It can also spot oncoming traffic when making a turn at a junction.
It is available with blind-spot monitoring, surround-view parking display, intelligent speed limit assist, smart cruise control with Stop & Go, navigation-based smart-cruise control that can adjust your speed based on speed limits, lane-keeping assist, and driver attention warning.
The 2021 Kia Sorento is now available in Kia showrooms.
2021 Kia Sorento pricing
- Sorento S FWD petrol - $45,859 RRP, $46,990 driveaway
- Sorento S AWD diesel - $48,850 RRP, $49,990 driveaway
- Sorento Sport FWD petrol - $48,470 RRP, 54,390 driveaway
- Sorento Sport AWD diesel - $51,470 RRP, $52,990 driveaway
- Sorento Sport+ FWD petrol - $52,850 RRP, $54,390 driveaway
- Sorento Sport+ AWD diesel - $55,850 RRP, $57,390 driveaway
- Sorento GT-Line FWD petrol - $60,070 RRP, $61,990 driveaway
- Sorento GT-Line AWD diesel - $63,070 RRP, $64,990 driveaway
Premium paint $695.