- Aside from the fantastic BOOSTERJET name, the 1.0-litre three-cylinder in the GLX Turbo is a treat. Great rorty exhaust note, smooth when cruising in traffic, and enthusiastic when the throttle is planted.
- Despite being electronically assisted, there is fantastic feel through the wheel. It feels like a traditional hydraulic power-steering setup, with natural weight and feel. The one downside is the massive 3.8 turns lock-to-lock. Prepare to work your arms while parking.
- The central 7-inch touchscreen infotainment system is easy to use and read at a glance. Phone connectivity is simple, plus Apple Car Play and Android Auto as standard are big wins. Reversing camera and satellite navigation are standard.
- The twin-dial dash is a nice touch. Although there is no digital speedometer, the car’s drive mode, speed, and instant fuel economy are all easy to read, and the blue backlighting gives a modern feel.
- The Baleno is a small city car, which is a big plus in urban areas. You will rarely worry about narrow streets, whether parking spaces are large enough, or if you can squeeze through tight gaps in traffic.
- The Baleno falls short in suspension refinement. While smooth over long undulations in the road, the GLX Turbo crashes over shorter bumps.
- Driving alone, the Baleno feels roomy inside. However, add bodies, and you quickly begin to realise how narrow the cabin is. Driving with an adult passenger in the front seat, it is easy to graze their leg reaching for the gear lever. Redeeming factors include the ample 355-litre boot and decent legroom for the rear seats.
- While the six-speed automatic transmission doesn’t hunt for gears in normal driving, it falls short during when hustling the car more spiritedly. Despite a 6,5000rpm redline, the car auto-upshifts at 5800rpm in ‘manual’ mode, making the paddle-shifters and manual mode somewhat redundant.
How are you finding our new site design? Tell us in the comments below or send us your thoughts at firstname.lastname@example.org.
First drive: 2021 Skoda Enyaq iV
Is the Skoda Enyaq iV a good enough electric SUV to tempt buyers away from waiting for the Hyundai Ioniq 5 and Kia EV6?
2021 Peugeot 2008 GT Sport review
The range-topping 2008 costs $9000 more than the entry-level Allure spec, so is it worth the extra cash?
2021 MG ZST Essence review
The MG ZST Essence is the flagship variant of Australia's most popular small SUV, but does its bargain price come at the expense of quality?