US sales slump prompts Blue Oval to stall Mustang factory, leaving other markets in the lurch.
Ford has idled production of Ford Mustang in the United States following a downturn in sales last month, meanwhile Aussie buyers are waiting months to take delivery of cars ordered here.
Demand for Mustang in the USA fell 32 percent from August to September, prompting the Blue Oval to stall production lines at its factory this week. Manufacturing will begin again on October 17.
A statement issued by Ford Motor Company says the shutdown is necessary in order to “match production with demand”.
The facility in Flat Rock, Detroit, is the sole source of Mustangs worldwide. It builds left- and right-hand drive vehicles for supply to all markets, as well as the Lincoln Continental.
Speaking to Wheels, Ford Australia spokesperson Damion Smy confirmed that a significant waiting list still exists for Mustangs ordered locally.
“Absolutely. It depends on what you order, but you wouldn’t get one before Q2 2017. It’s about seven to eight months for a GT, and four months for an EcoBoost, though it is constantly changing.”
Smy couldn’t comment on the precise reason production had been paused when customers in non-US markets are still waiting for cars to be built.
A lack of demand in the US could open the door for increased right-hand drive production in the long term, something Ford Australia says it is working towards in order to address local supply issues.
“We’re trying to shorten the waiting lists,” Smy said. “We’re constantly working to get more Mustangs to Australia, but we haven’t confirmed any extra supply.”
In Australia, Mustangs have continued to gallop out of dealerships. September was the strongest month of sales since launch and so far this year Mustang has easily outsold nearest segment rival, the Toyota 86, with 4621 sales versus just 1713 for the 86.
Australia is not the only market where demand exceeds supply. It is understood Mustang orders are waiting to be filled elsewhere around the world, particularly in Europe.
A statement from Ford in the US confirmed the 3702 factory workers who crew the Mustang production line would be paid during the shutdown.
How are you finding our new site design? Tell us in the comments below or send us your thoughts at email@example.com.
Get your monthly fix of news, reviews and stories on the greatest cars and minds in the automotive world.
Mercedes-AMG gives mid-life updates to GT 4-door Coupé, Australia to miss out
Revisions come for Merc-AMG four-door but Australia won't get six-cylinder models
Updated Ssangyong Musso pricing and features
SsangYong's budget ute gets an overhaul
Genesis GV60 EV spied inside and out
With its new G80 Electric limo already out in the open, Genesis's next electric vehicle is this: the GV60 small SUV