Kids are going to go bananas for these sugary treats.
4 to 6 bananas split lengthways or sliced
1 small packet of white marshmallows roughly chopped (or miniature marshmallows, if you can get them)
½ cup of caramel topping
2 tbs of orange juice
Choc bits or pieces
Toasted, flaked or slivered almonds (or toasted crushed mix nuts)
- Combine the sliced bananas, marshmallows, caramel topping and juice in a bowl and gently mix.
- Distribute the mixture into 4 to 6 pieces of foil. Wrap and seal each piece.
- Barbecue or grill parcels over a medium heat until heated through.
- Unwrap and sprinkle with choc bits and nuts before serving.
- Hint: You could add other toppings such as chopped strawberries, walnuts, pecans, granola or toasted muesli.
Banana Waffle Cones
Nutella chocolate spread or caramel topping
Miniature marshmallows (or chopped marshmallows)
Toasted almond flakes or slivered almonds
Toasted, crushed mixed nuts
- Line each cone with your choice of peanut butter, Nutella or caramel topping (or go the whole hog and use them all).
- Fill each cone with layers of your favourite toppings and then tightly wrap each cone with foil, making sure each parcel is sealed well.
- Place on a medium-heated grill/barbecue for 3 to 5 minutes, turning occasionally; or place on a grill over a campfire for about 3 to 5 minutes or until the chocolate and marshmallows have melted (if at home, you can bake them in your oven on a medium heat, 180°C, for about 5 to 7 minutes). Don’t overcook them or the waffle cones tend to soften.
- Unwrap and enjoy.
- Melted marshmallow can be very hot. So, be careful to ensure the kids don’t burn their mouths.
Don’t throw those browning, spotty, soft bananas out. Freeze them. They are perfect for making cakes. As the banana ripens, its starch converts to sugar. The riper the banana, the creamier and sweeter it tastes.
Also, if you have an over supply of bananas, peel and cut them into 4 to 6 pieces each, and then place them in a freezer bag. Mark the bag with the day’s date and store in the freezer for 1 to 2 months. Frozen bananas can be used for smoothies and shakes.