Handsome is one word to describe Ford’s pony car. It’s styled to the nines with designers doing their best to merge the old with the new, and, as far as the judges were concerned, they did so excellently.
It’s a supercar after all and if it doesn’t get the butterflies fluttering and heart pounding at first sight, then it’s already failed at half of its purpose. But the Mustang almost guarantees love at first sight and the guys at the Blue Oval design studio have certainly created a stunning refashioned version of the original Mustang.
“The design cues of this car are all about harking back to the original 1964 Mustang and the great Mustangs that we remember through the ’60s and ’70s … they’ve managed to bring those heritage cues into the contemporary setting really well, and I think it’s a good-looking car,” said judge Ged Bulmer
The list of stylish features in the Mustang is endless, but here are our top five:
- A reinterpretation of the original Mustang’s signature style, including its aggressive front grille, bonnet sculpting and vertical taillights.
- It’s got muscle. Not in a way that makes it purely appealing to the masculine, but rather it gives drivers a sense of power. And while the engine plays its hand in that, its appearance sets up its reputation from the get-go.
- It manages to bring heritage cues into a contemporary setting really well without falling into the tacky trap.
- Aircraft style toggle switches, split level dash, aircraft style logos and stubby shift levers make the Pony feel like a cockpit that you want to jump in to and drive … fast.
- It looks like it should cost more than it does. While price isn’t really a style feature, the fact the Mustang managed to make you feel like you’re getting a bargain from the moment you sit in the seat, purely because of how it looks, got a big tick from the judges.
How are you finding our new site design? Tell us in the comments below or send us your thoughts at firstname.lastname@example.org.
We speak to Sony about its Vision-S master plans
Walkman, PlayStation, Xperia… electric car? Electronics maker draws up its own e-mobility future
How bored Rolls Royce buyers got creative during the pandemic
2020's pandemic gave Rolls buyers a lot more time to come up with ways to pimp their rides
Top 10 most bizarre car colour names
We pick out some the most creative, silliest and downright weird colour names