Australia’s favourite automaker has again been judged one of the world’s biggest tech companies, ranking fifth overall in Interbrand’s 2016 Best Global Brands.
Heading the auto sector for the 13th year, Toyota gained 9 percent on last year, jumping up a spot from last year’s sixth position to sit behind some of the world’s biggest companies including (in order) Apple, Google, Coca-Cola and Microsoft.
Toyota is valued at US$53.6 billion behind Apple at US$178.2 billion and Google (US$133.2 billion) and ahead of 13 other global car brands including Mercedes-Benz, BMW and Honda.
Tesla Motors is the other success story to come out of the report with the US automaker and technology firm jumping into the top 100 for the first time, valued at just US$4 billion.
Each global brand is ranked based on financial performance, influence on customer choice and the brand’s strength to command a premium price or secure earnings for the company.
INTERBRAND’S 2016 BEST GLOBAL BRANDS - AUTOMOTIVE
- Toyota, +9%, US$53.6 billion (5)
- Mercedes-Benz, +18%, US$43.5 billion (9)
- BMW, +12%, US$41.5 billion (11)
- Honda, -4%, US$22.1 billion (21)
- Ford, +12%, US$13 billion (33)
- Hyundai, +11%, US$12.8 billion (35)
- Audi, +14%, US$11.8 billion (38)
- Volkswagen, -9 %, US$11.4 billion (40)
- Nissan, +22%, US$11.1 billion (43)
- Porsche, +18%, US$9.5 billion (50)
- Kia, +12%, US$6.3 billion (69)
- Land Rover, +11%, US$5.7 billion (78)
- Mini, +18%, US$5 billion (88)
- Tesla, US$4 billion (100)
How are you finding our new site design? Tell us in the comments below or send us your thoughts at firstname.lastname@example.org.
FWD vs RWD vs AWD – which is the safest kind of car?
With so many drivetrains in the market to choose from, powering either the front wheels, the rear wheels, or both ends... which setup is right for you?
Buying your first brand-new car from a dealer – the dos and don’ts
Buying a brand-new car from a dealer can be a daunting experience, so here's a few pointers
Boot sizes of Australia’s favourite SUVs
Not all SUVs are created equal when it comes to the cargo department